Saturday, June 6, 2009

Food Assignment #7 (REVISED)

The Recipe:

Food Network
The Elvis sandwich

2 tablespoons butter, softened
8 slices white bread
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
1 large, ripe banana, sliced
1/4 cup honey
12 slices bacon, Sauteed until crispy (optional)

Spread the butter on 1 side of each slice of bread. On the other side of half of the slices spread peanut butter. Place banana slices on top of peanut butter. Drizzle honey over bananas. Place 3 bacon slices on top of the banana, then place the remaining buttered bread slices on top, butter-side-out.
Place sandwiches on a preheated grill pan or griddle. Flip them over when they become golden brown and crispy. When the sandwiches are browned on both sides, remove to plates. Slice in half and serve immediately.

Responses: I made this one night a couple of hours after dinner and I was actually really excited about it. I had never had one before and I saw the recipe a couple of years ago on the food network. Making it was one of the most simple things I have ever cooked and the outcome was AMAZING. My mother walked in while I was frying the bacon and saw the ingredients and asked what I was making. When I said an Elvis sandwich she looked at me like I was crazy, knowing what it was. She then continued to ask me if I was pregnant, because only a pregnant women would crave such random things in a sandwich to which I answered a resounding NO!
Knowing my stepsister Jamie loved Elvis I called her over and invited her over for a surprise. When I showed her my finished product and told her the name she was extremely excited and rather puzzled as to how I came across this. We sat in my room and talked and ate these sandwiches which really hit the spot that night. She thought it was a really great snack, and thanked me for calling her over. I would recommend this to anyone who likes all of the ingredients in this sandwich! and even though it may sound crazy to combine them all, the outcome is simply pleasing!

No comments: