Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Grocery Store and Habitual Food

*My family makes a trip to t he grocery store at least once a week. Usually its to take advantage of sales or stock up on something we've run out on in the fridge. Since my parents usually do the shopping I get to put away all the stuff so I get to see what they bought. The most frequent bought item is juice, along with a supply of chips cookies and eggs. A gallon of 1% milk bought as soon as the old one finishes. Sometimes my mother gets meat from the supermarket, but she usually goes to a local butcher to ensure that the meat is just the way she wants... fresh. She always buys a variety of breads which for a couple of years now, has been 3 grain or wheat. When I was younger I would only eat white bread but now she buys " healthier" bread for us to eat. There is always almonds and walnuts in my house because my mother and I like to put them in yogurt along with some honey. My mother has always been into healthy things, like soy beans, tofu and a lot of vegetables. Since I eat a select variety of vegetables, she only makes them for herself usually or she'll makes the vegetable that I like. There is ALWAYS carrots in my fridge, regular ones or baby carrots which I eat sometimes as a snack. The only fruits I can think of that are in my house are apples, bananas and oranges while the other fruits in my house are snacks like fig newtons or raspberry cookies which don't really count.
*Looking at the placement of foods in the grocery store it is quite interesting how things are set up. In my supermarket which is right across the street from my building everything is placed together in isles. If your looking for cookies, a whole two isles are devoted to junk foods. If your looking for vegetables and fruits another two isles on the opposite side of the store hold those. One thing that I find interesting is the placement of candy right near the cash register. One of the places people can spend the most time simply standing still is near the cash register waiting to pay for your groceries. I have seen women with children buy their kids candy because they have been standing in front of two shelves of it for ten minutes. Going back to this idea, supermarkets and a lot of junk food companies target little children because of their lack of knowledge for what is good for them. Little kids are less likely to say yes to a cookie and no to an apple if they had the chance to choose. I have never seen a supermarket with fresh fruit stands right next to the cash register, and for some reason I don't think I will.

No comments: